IIAS distinguishes between four categories of IIAS fellows:
1. IIAS Affiliated fellows
The position of "affiliated fellow" is intented for independent excellent postdoctoral scholars from around the world to work on an important piece of research at IIAS. A limited number of research grants are available for these positions.
IIAS Fellowship application form
Interested candidates can apply for a position as affiliated fellow by sending in the IIAS Postdoctoral Fellowship application form. Please use this form if you are self-funded as well as if you would like IIAS to sponsor you.
2. Fellowships within (inter)national agreements (MoU's)
Fellows from certain countries or institutions can apply for fellowships within an (inter)national agreement between IIAS and a partner institution or organisation, such as:
- The Chinese Academy for Social Sciences (CASS), China
- National Science Council (NSC), Taiwan
- The National Institute for Humanities (NIHU), Japan
- The J. Gonda Foundation, the Netherlands
Candidates are selected and nominated to IIAS by the partner institution. (Do NOT use the IIAS Application form; this form is only intended for candidates who are applying for an affiliated fellowship).
3. IIAS Research fellows
Research fellows are PhD students or postdoctoral scholars attached to one of the existing IIAS research projects, such as:
- ABIA South and Southeast Asian Art and Archaeology Index (ABIA)
- Ageing in Asia and Europe
- Energy Programme Asia (EPA)
- Gender, migration and family in East and Southeast Asia
- Illegal but Licit
- Asia Design
Positions are available upon vacancy only. Vacancies and application instructions will be advertised on the IIAS website. (Do NOT use the IIAS Application form; this form is only intended for candidates who are applying for an affiliated fellowship).
4. IIAS Professors
IIAS Professors are attached to IIAS to teach, do research, and organize seminars in the Netherlands and other European countries.
A. National IIAS professors
- upon vacancy only; vacancies and application instructions are advertised on the IIAS website;
- selection by the "Stichting ter Bevordering van de Azië Studies";
- candidates should be based at a Dutch University;
B. International IIAS professors
- nomination by home country/institute;
- selection by special selection committee;
- minimum level: assistant professor;
- (co-)financing by home country/institute;
- candidates will be based at IIAS;
(Do NOT use the IIAS Application form; this form is only intended for candidates who are applying by themselves for an affiliated fellowship).
For specific information regarding the fellowship programme, please contact Sandra van der Horst: firstname.lastname@example.org